Цель: совершенствование речевых навыков
- формировать умения выражать мнение;
- развивать критическое мышление, умение
анализировать и обобщать ;
- воспитывать правильное отношение к
здоровому образу жизни.
с видеороликом (мнения педагогов, учащихся на
английском языке), тематический плакат " All Russia
TV-Turnoff Week”, стенд с материалами по теме (статья о
неделе без ТV, проводимой ежегодно в Америке в
апреле; результаты анкетирования по школе
"Нужна ли в России неделя без TV; мнения
педагогов, учащихся и родителей) буклеты,
карточки для голосования.
1. Warm-up activities
Рекламный ролик "After Effects…”
T.: Today at the lesson we are going to have a discussion "TV
or not TV”. We
have to decide how TV influences the people’s lives. Let’s see what you
this problem. Express your idea and support it with arguments. But first
I ask you say
what "a discussion” means. You can say a synonym of this word.
P1: I think, it’s a debate.
P2: A debate is a formal discussion in a public place, in
which two or more groups
take it in turns to state their opinions on a subject and then vote for
T.: Look at the pictures and answer the questions.
1. Which of these programmes are harmful and
dangerous for children under
P1: I Think, horror films
May be, western
2. What do you think about this family?
P1: The members of family are speaking about which
programme to watch.
The girl probably heard what they were talking about and is
shouting that she
wants to carry on watching her cartoon.
They all have different opinions. But they should respect the
opinions of the
What do you watch?
(music show, the news, comedies, phone-in, wildlife
3. Let’s check your vocabulary! Do the C-stairs
puzzle. Работа в
- Film for children, made by photographing a series of drawings.
- An… film is one with a lot of shooting and fights.
- Programme that gives facts about a serious subject.
- Funny programme with a different story each week about the same
- …show is entertaining TV programme with songs, clips.
- The lead …is the main hero of a film.
- Short TV programme aimed at advertising.
4. Interpret the picture
T.: What do you think could make the man do this?
5. Let’s continue our talk! You’ve read the text"
TV –Turnoff week
turns me on” at home.
Answer my questions:
- T: What is this text about?
It’s about the advantages and disadvantages of a
- T: Read the first sentence of the article!
It’s been nearly 35 years….
- T: How old is the author now?
54 years old
- T: Why small letters here?
This may show the author has a negative
attitude towards TV .
- T: Can he speak 15 languages?
No, but he knows some phrases from 15
- T: Who is the author comparing himself with?
With people who watch TV.
- T: What was the author’s purpose in writing this
The author’s purpose is to be persuade the
readers of the article
to take part in National TV-TURNOFF WEEK.
- T: What is the author’s attitude to commercials?
He sounds very negative speaking about commercials and
uses emotional, negative
vocabulary. ("blared, fully-loaded garbage truck…”)
- T: What do the underlined words refer to here?
"understand it”= the fact that the information is controlled by a few
"another world” – a better world
"this one” – world without TV
"live in it” – world without TV
6. T.: Last time you’re divided into three groups. We’ll
begin our debate. I
invite the Chair to begin a debate.
(Звучит песня "Никаких телевизоров”.)
The Chair: Ladies &gentlemen, could I have your attention,
please. Let me open
Do we need an All-Russian TV-Turnoff Week? I give the floor to first
team A. You will
have 5 minutes to present your view on the problem and give arguments.
Believe us, it’s a good idea. According our testing, (70%) pupils
agree with this
We have a list of the arguments to support it.
(Выступление группы может сопровождаться
презентацией или рисунками, которые
вывешиваются на доску в качестве подтверждения
Advantages of a TV-free life:
- You can read more (рисунок)
- You can go to the cinema more often (рисунок)
- You have more chance to communicate with people (рисунок)
- You can help more in the community (рисунок)
- You can travel more and so learn more languages (рисунок)
- You are not afraid to go out at night (рисунок)
- You know more about world events and events in your neighbourhood (рисунок)
- You become more helpful (рисунок)
We’ve prepared a video clip ("TV-Turnoff Week”). Attention, please!
Disadvantages of TV:
- it makes your brain passive
- it has a lot of commercials that interrupt programmes
- it often hide the truth
- it is controlled by huge corporations and so is not objective.
- there is too much pop music & ads
- we watch TV every evening & it begins to dominate our lives
The Chair: Unfortunately, your time is up. Does the
audience have any questions?
Audience: We have some personal questions. How much TV do
you watch every day?
Do you have a TV in your own room?
How often do you read books?
Where do you prefer watch films?
P1: Sometimes about 4 hours
As for me, I watch TV about 2 hours every day.
The Chair: I give the floor to the second Team B. You will
have 5 minutes to
present your view on this problem and give your arguments.
Team B: We disapprove of this idea. And we have some
advantages of TV:
- TV is entertainment for people. If you are lonely or boring, you
can watch comedies,
love stories cartoons. (рисунок)
- TV is mind-expanding, you don’t need reading a lot of books-you
can use educational
and interesting programmes.
- TV is integral part of progress
- TV has some educational values. We can watch a lot of patriotic
- Parents have to have a TV Guardian.
- TV-is very comfortable for people. It’s wonderful to be able to
sit down in front of
the TVset with your family and friends.
- Ads are very comfortable for adults.
- Public TV broadcasts plays, ballets, symphonies & programmes
about art , history
The Chair: Let me continue our debates and I give the
floor to the first Team A.
You will have 3 minutes to report your counterarguments.
Team A: Counter-arguments:
Yes, but do you really think that we don’t need this action, we can give
you one fact.
Has anyone heard about the experiment with dolls? The first group saw
a girl playing
with a doll. The second group saw another girl kicking the same doll.
children were left alone in a room with a doll like one in the videos.
The first group
played normally with the doll, but the second group started behaving
violently with the
doll. Surely the evidence couldn’t be clearer! Violence on the TV has a
on children’s behaviour.
You know these days, violent programmes are attracting bigger and
especially among the young. The fact is that 64% of all violence takes
place in cartoons.
Many children have a TV in the bedroom. As I’m sure you’ll agree it’s
easy to determine the difference between reality & fantasy. Some of
them begin to copy
the violent behaviour they see in their favourite programmes. Some
addicted to television.
For example the film "Natural Born Killers” teaches children to kill
was an accident in France when a group of teenagers killed their
A friend of mine told me that when his TV set broke he & his
family suddenly found
that they had much more time to do things.
The Chair: Does the audience have any questions?
I give the floor to the second Team B. You will have 3 minutes to report
Team B: Counter-arguments:
We agree, that sometimes some programmes are violent. But parents must
not distract from
their duties to control watching TV of their children.
Many people have forgotten what the world was like before TV. But
today it has become
an integral part of our lives. No medium can compare with TV as a means
of information ,
entertainment & education.
On the first place TV is not only convenient source of entertainment,
but also a
cheap one. The family of 4, for example, it is more convenient as
well as cheaper to
sit comfortably at home than to go out. They don’t have to pay for
And they can watch films, football matches, political discussions
TV informs about new events & the latest developments in science
The Chair: Does the audience have any questions? How
convincing are the arguments
& counter-arguments of these teams?
- I approve of this idea. These teams have a lot of convincing
counter-arguments. Sometimes I was agree with the first team, and
often with the second
- I’m all for it. There are many arguments FOR and AGAINST. But many
violent behavior & it is violation of human rights to have a
very dangerous TVset at
- I disapprove of this idea It is clear that parents often distract
from their duties.
- I don’t agree with it. I believe, TV is an integral part of
progress & we don’t
live without TV.
The Chair: I invite the audience to vote for the
decision. Do we need
an All-Russian TV-Turnoff Week?
Открытое голосование (карточки двух цветов).
В голосовании могут принять участие
присутствующие гости (педагоги и родители)
The Chair: For – … Against – …
I think we must understand that TV in itself is neither good nor bad. TV
is as good or bad
as we make it.
Подведение итогов урока
Follow-up (discuss the debate)
- Why did the debate have this result?
- Which team was stronger?
- What was the role of the audience? Did it play its role?
Сочинение "TV or not TV”