• to check students' grammar
skills: DIRRECT AND INDIRRECT SPEECH
A) Read the table manners. Say what parents tell little children to
teach them table manners.
1. Keep your arms off the table. Don't put your elbows on the table. Sit
2. Keep your mouth closed when you eat.
3. Use a knife and a fork! Hold them correctly. Don't eat with a knife.
Don't take bread with a fork.
4. Don't read at mealtime. Don't say you don't like the food.
B) Read the traffic rules. Say what parents tell little children to do
(not to do) when they are in the street.
1. Play in the yard. Don't play in the street. Be careful when you ride
a bicycle in the street.
2. Cross the street at the crossing-place. Don't cross the street where
3. Cross the street when the traffic light is green. Don't cross the
street when the light is red.
4. When you cross the street, first look at the left and then to the
5. Cross the street in front of the tram. Cross the street behind the
bus or a trolley-bus.
Here is a story containing Direct Statements and Commands. Rewrite it in
THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER
I will tell you a story of the ant and the grasshopper. It is a cold
winter's day and an ant is bringing out some grains of corn that he had
gathered in the summer. A grasshopper, who is very hungry, sees him and says,
"Give me a few
grains of corn; I am dying of hunger. I was too busy in summer. I sang a
lot all day long and didn't store any corn".
"If you sang all summer", says the aunt, "you can dance
Transform the sentences from Direct Speech into Indirect Speech.
1. Oleg said: "My room is on the second floor".
2. He said: "I am sure she will ring me up when she is back in
3. Artem said: "I saw them at my parent's house last year".
4. He said: "I haven't seen my cousin today".
5. He said to us: "Come to us tomorrow".
6. She said to me: "I will do it today if I have time".
7. "Don't worry about such a small thing", she said to me.
8. John said: " I met them at the airport yesterday".
9. Mary said: "Don't switch on TV, Fred, I am working".
10. My mother said to me: "It will be difficult for you to get up
tomorrow if you don't go to bed immediately".