- developing skills and habits of oral speech;
- identifying information on the map;
- using maps to locate information;
- widening pupils’ outlook on different topics connecting with
I. Teacher’s words. Our group is large. There are 12 on the list. All
members of our
group are attractive and hardworking. I think we should create a
friendly atmosphere and
give a floor to our guests. The motto of our project work is ‘Glimpses
of the USA and
Canada’. Language and man are inseparable. Language doesn’t exist
outside man and man
as Homo sapiens does not exist outside language. So, man can not be
language and vice versa. Language reflects the world around us – through
man and for
man, language likewise reflects the culture created by man, hands it
down from generation
to generation, from father to son. Language is a cultural tool: it forms
the behavior, way of life, outlook, mentality, national character and
II. You have been working on your projects for a month (couple of
weeks). It’s time
to defend your projects. Now it’s your turn to speak. Who will start?
III. Projects. Students speak using their chats, tables and maps.
P1: The English language is used for discovering new facts about
Canada and other
P2: The history of Canada is a history of multiracial society. The
interact with blacks and Native Indians. This is a country of
immigrants. The problem of
communication between various ethnic groups has always been urgent.
Living in one
community people influence each other, that’s why the language is being
changed as well.
P3: Canadian English is much more similar to American English than to
spoken in England. The role of the French language and culture in the
province of Quebec
and in Canada as a whole has been an issue of many conflicts. In the
1970s French was
proclaimed the language of government and business. After long debates
French and English
are official languages.
IV. T: We have learnt interesting facts about Canada. By the way you
have got knowledge
about the USA. Will you answer my questions? What makes Canada and the
USA similar and
different at the same time?
- English is spoken
- A lot of immigrants live in both countries
- They are developed countries
- Are washed by ….
- Canada has two official languages
- Forms of Government is different: Canada is a Constitutional
Monarchy and the USA is a
- Both countries occupy an are about 10mln sq km
- In Canada Head of State is Queen of Britain
- In the USA Head of State and Government is President
- Great lakes are on the border between these two countries
T: Right you are. Your home-task was to make an advertisement about
Great lakes. How
many lakes are there in this district? Can you name them? Will you
please show your work?
We shall show the advertisement to our guests and invite them to visit
V. T: Let’s play a bit. Show your geography smart. For every right
answer you will
get this card. To be a winner, try to get as many as you can.
1. Can you name famous Canadians? (Alexander Graham Bell invented
the telephone in
Ontario. Pamela Anderson was born in Canada).
2. What are Canada’s official colours? (blue and red, gold and
red, white and
3. How many states do Canada and the USA border on in the south? (12).
4. What summer festivals in Canada do you know? (The summer music
5. What are educational and cultural institutions in Vancouver? (The
British Columbia, Civic Art Gallery).
6. What kind of state is Canada? (Canada is a federal state and a
member of the
7. What language is the main in Montreal? (French).
8. What education does Canada provide? (Free education from
elementary through to
9. How many time zones are there in Canada? (6).
10. Who wrote the most Canadian book ever written? ( Humorist
‘Sketches of a Litle Town.’)
VI. T: This work was new for you. You worked a lot searching
information in the
Internet and libraries. Could you express your opinions? Say if it was
interesting, boring or thrilling. What is unique about this kind of
Students express their opinions (рефлексия).
P1: It’s time when we not only learn grammar rules and words by
heart. We realize
that the English language is the way of learning new things. P2: I’m
glad that the
English language helps me to get acquainted with culture, history, every
day life of other
people. It’s clear enough that English is not only a lesson but life.
P3: At the same time it’s the only lesson where we can discuss
problems of youth and women, ecological problems, etc. We express
attitude towards modern
music and High Technologies.
P4: Working on this project we had to re-cast amount of information,
different tables, schemes.
P5: If we didn’t know English quite well, we wouldn’t be able to work
Internet. While preparing this project we used not only the knowledge of
language but also skills and experience in the fields of sociology and
on the computer and in the library.
T: This work has helped us to gain a better understanding of Canada.
cross-cultural approach to Canadian studies. Let me quote he words by
Moscow State University. ‘Sometimes people from different cultures
behave differently in
similar situations. These are the cases of cultural misunderstanding.
occur on different levels. Trying to compare Russians and Americans, we
will first glance
at cultural differences which are on the surface. These are differences
communicative styles and in their everyday behavior. English is one
language and different
cultures’. I fully agree with Kurasovskaya. Thanks a lot for your work. I
wish it were
not the last project. We’ll try to take part in collaborative projects
students from around the world to compare different things.