• to check students' listening
a) Listen to the interview with
Rik Palieri, a musician and answer the questions.
Interviewer (I). Rik, at the age of fifteen, like many teenagers, you
were attracted to rock music.
Rik Palieri (RP). Yes, that's correct. Actually, I was even working for
a rock band, carrying their instruments.
I. Really? Did you play any musical instrument at that time? A guitar
RP. Yes, but it wasn't a guitar. The first instrument I learnt to play
was a banjo. I practiced playing it a lot. One day, however, I saw a photo of
Polish bagpipes in National Geographic and I decided I had to get some for
I. Well, What happened then?
RP. In 1980,1 went to Poland because I was invited to a rock festival.
There I saw and heard a real kobza (it is the Polish name for bagpipes). I fell
in love with it immediately. I spent six months studying, learning to play this
instrument although it was extremely difficult. Do you know that I even learnt
to speak Polish?
I. Did you like it there?
RP. Of course. Especially the folk costumes and traditions of the mountains.
I even took a Polish sheep dog back to America. I. So, what's your life like
RP. Now, I'm 38. I'm a folk singer, composer and story-teller. I
regularly give concerts at festivals, in clubs, pubs, and schools. I sing
ballads, blues, country and Polish folk songs. I have performed in
Italy, France, Great Britain and Poland.
I. Do you travel to Poland sometimes?
RP. Quite often, I must say. To look for inspiration, traditions and
I. Rik, is there anything you would like to tell your fans?
RP. Oh yes. Never forget about where you come from. Always remember your
country's traditions. Otherwise, if you lose your folklore, you lose a part of
I. Thank you, Rik.
1. What music was Rik interested in when he was a teenager?
2. What was the first instrument that he learnt to play?
3. Where did he see the photo of Polish bagpipes?
4. When did he go to Poland?
5. Why did he go to Poland?
6. How much time did he spend in Poland?
7. What did he find interesting in Poland?
8. How old is Rik?
9. What sort of music does he sing?
10. Where has he given concerts?
B) Complete the sentences.
1. When Rik Palieri was a teenager he worked...
2. He saw a photo of Polish bagpipes in...
3. In 1980, Rick...
4. He likes bagpipes so much that...
5. Rik Palieri liked.... in Poland.
6. Rick is.... years old.
7. He is a folk...
8. He often travels to Poland to....
9. Rik recommended his fans...
10. If people lose their folklore, they...